Friday, March 20, 2009

Opening Day 2009

So we are officially a baseball family now. Darin is the coach of Aaron's t-ball team and Isabella is on a kid pitch team. We will be spending 5 of 7 days a week at the baseball park. Both kids practice two days a week, one weekday game and Saturday games. In all honesty I am so excited about the next few months. I grew up on the baseball field and love being outside with the kids.

Grandma Judy came to Aaron's first game!!

Coach Darin lining the kids up to give the other team high five!!
Opening day...walking around the field showcasing their team banner


Aaron and Mason - Go GATORS

So besides being at the ballpark all day, the league asked Darin to throw out the first pitch and make a speech. Long story short...opening ceremonies took longer then expected so Darin did not give the speech. He saw the kids getting restless in the field and wanted to let them play ball. He worked so hard on this speech and I was so proud of him, I wanted to share it. I love you honey!!

Good Morning……..

What a beautiful day for baseball…..

It’s hard for me to imagine that my career in baseball started here in GG 29 years ago down the street at SWGGLL… My first coach was my dad, and as I got older both of my parents got very involved in little league…Now it’s my turn with my own kids, and I take great pride in having my dad out here on the field again with me coaching his grandkids….THANK YOU!!

My playing career as a young boy consisted of; 6 years of Little League and 2 years of Pony, I attended Bolsa Grande HS, Orange Coast JC, and in June of 1993 signed with the Philadelphia Phillies. I played for 3 years with the Phillies and retired after shoulder surgery. I tried to make a comeback with an Independent team, but my shoulder just wouldn’t cooperate. For the love of the game, I have stayed involved in baseball through coaching for the past 15 yrs. coaching HS, College, and Travel Baseball as well as offering private instruction to kids of all ages. And now I can add Little League to my resume.

When I was approached by a board member ….I won’t mention her name “JENNIFER OUR T-BALL COMMISSIONER” at the coaches meeting to throw out the first pitch on opening day, I had a lot of mixed emotions…I thought to myself why would CGGLL want an old, overweight, retired professional baseball player throwing out the first pitch. This weighed on me for a few weeks as I diligently tried to find one of my present students and/or past players to take my place. Needless to say, I couldn’t find anyone because its baseball season and they are all currently playing…..

I was going to thankfully decline the offer until last week when I got the call that our baseball community had lost a young and very talented player by the name of Jourdie Watanabe on February 27th. (by the way that’s my youngest daughters birthday so I will never forget that date) He was only 20 years old….

I had the opportunity to coach Jouirdie on my travel team for 2 year’s as a 13 &14 yr. old. This young man had tremendous upside…..He was a 4 year Varsity starter and JC All American as a freshman…..He was a leader on the field…..always gave 100% effort and always played the game with his heart on his sleeve….. He played the game angry (That is good bye the way) every coach would love to have a kid like him on there team…..and he was also well on his way to following his childhood dream of becoming a professional baseball player…..

I went to his memorial service last weekend at OCC (my Alma mater) and listened to family, friends, teachers, past and present coaches talk in front of hundreds of people about his life and tell some great stories….In listening to all the great stories, and seeing so many people that played a huge role in my life and success in baseball one time or another I realized that this is my calling…I need to speak to you young men about this game and be the first to tell you that life, family, and friends are much more important than any game…..

As I stand here in front of all of you, as a proud husband and father of three, I pray that no one has to go through what the Watanabe family has gone through these past few weeks.

Out of respect for the Watanabe family I would like to take this moment for our baseball family here to please bow your heads and join me in a moment of silence………………………………………………..THANK YOU……

Now on to why we are all here today……It’s Opening Day……The first day to wear your uniform….your first game….and I am very excited for all of you….

Now give me a show of hands “Who has a dream of becoming a professional baseball player”? I recommend that everyone here follows there dream whatever it may be, and set some realistic goals for your self and be sure to follow through with them……

As in all of our everyday lives whether it involves work, school, family, friends, sports or a combination of everything, we all have to put forth some effort and sometimes we have to reach back to get a little extra to get us through the tough day’s, but never quit….persevere and move forward…..

With that being said, I can’t stress to you young men enough about how important school is. I challenge all of you to look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself this question; “Do I give the same amount of effort in school as I do baseball”? If you are all honest with yourselves, only you will know what you need to do to change your approach to the game of life….

Something you should all know is that you all have the love and support from your families, friends, teachers and coaches to help you through some of life’s tough curve balls you will face in your lifetime. Please use those resources to help you through your issues….Don’t sweat the small stuff….Life is too short!!!!
And last but not least, I would like to thank all the board members from CGGLL for this great honor. And as most of you know Little League is all voluntary, and I encourage everyone to help out as much as possible ……Have fun this year…and good luck….Let’s play Ball…..

1 comment:

Jill P said...

Oh my gosh Summer! Your blog's always get me teary eyed, and remind me how blessed we really are! You are such a great woman, and an awesome Mom. I love reading up on how things are going with you guys (great black & whites of the kids by the way! candid shots of kids are my fave). I sent you an e-mail a few days ago about a baby shower that my friends are trying to plan for me -I'm pregger's w/tiwns!! Crazy huh! Jailey asks about Izzy ALL THE TIME! She misses her so very much, you have no idea. She is constantly asking when she can see her. I hope that we can get in touch with eachother so that our girls can hang out soon. Jailey would be so excited!! Call me or e-mail me, kay! Hope to hear from you............. xo Jill